c a r e e r c o n s u l t a n c y
During counselling we provide information, advice and guidance to help a student make realistic choices about their education, training and work. We help to identify options for suitable careers, build CVs, identify skills gaps, advise on where to search for jobs and help with the application, and locate relevant training courses.
The variety of work that can be carried out includes:
- Interviewing people one to one or in small groups to discuss career or education options
- Identifying skills gaps and how to deal with them
- Helping young people to draw up action plans for employment, education and training and supporting them to achieve these goals
- Providing advice on CV, applications, job hunting and interview techniques
- Running small group sessions or larger presentations on all aspects of careers work and topics related to personal development
- Helping people to understand the current job market
- Writing careers literature or sourcing information products from elsewhere for use within the service
- Keeping up to date with labour market information, legislation, and professional and academic developments by visiting employers, training providers and training events run by educational and professional bodies
- Managing a caseload of clients.